Employee retention and attraction continues to be one of the top priorities for hiring managers and executives at all levels of companies across the country no matter how large or small.
Our ongoing effort to attract and educate the youth of today continued this past Wednesday as nearly 50 students from North Side High School along with local business owners, Press-Seal vendors, university officials and high school faculty visited our facility.
Your program is so valuable for students and the community, and is indeed a model
Career Exploration Opportunities
Our mission of the Press-Seal Career Readiness Program (CRP) is to offer all students authentic career exploration opportunities inside local Fort Wayne businesses through a collaborative network of business leaders, educators and community stakeholders.
Our vision is simply meant to bring students and parents together with businesses to start the idea of career exploration. Which in turn we anticipate will turn into job-shadowing and internship opportunities during the student’s academic career.
Creating this program is a simple three stage process and we’d like to share our vision of how it will work in our company. You can take some of these steps and apply them to your own program.
- Identify a set number of students at a certain grade level to take part
- This group will complete pre and post visit surveys
- A team from the business will review the surveys and determine the best possible way to improve the program
Now that you’ve laid the program foundation, you can start considering other levels of the program to add more value to the overall objective – retain and attract employees. Here are some other great ideas to add to your program:
- Students and families take part in business tours
- Opportunities for job shadowing on certain levels of skill and availability can be planned
- Frequency of job opportunities can be determined
- Evaluations of students from mentors will be completed and reviewed